A New Season, Songs for Susan (and the Songs We Sang)
Posted June 8, 2010on:
I had the most wonderful experience on June 4, 2010.
A New Season, Songs for Susan
at Maggie’s Cabaret
Directed by Cindy Hutchins
Music Directed by Howard Breitbart
(A tribute to Susan Blue, retiring rector of St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church)
Sharing the stage with the fantastic singers (and dear friends) Cindy Hutchins and Justin Ritchie, and the fabulous Howard Breitbart on piano, I performed at Maggie’s Cabaret in a cabaret tribute to St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church rector Susan Blue who will soon retire.
Susan Blue has been a supporter and advocate for “Maggie’s Cabaret,” a cabaret series created by Cindy Hutchins (Artistic Director) and Michael Armstrong (Producer), since the series began in 2003.
It was a great honor to participate in this event. The audience at Maggie’s is easily one of the warmest and most responsive in town. Since this was a night dedicated to their beloved rector Susan Blue, the room was especially lush with emotion.
I was also honored to share the news of “Sing Books with Emily,” describing the program and displaying Eric Puybaret’s illustration of the song “Over the Rainbow,” followed by a suggestion that Susan share Bill Staine’s song “All God’s Critters” (Kadir Nelson’s illustration) with her grandchildren, which lead me to sing the song complete with kazoo solo and chorus sing-along. Justin Ritchie played the tambourine. What fun!!
Over the Rainbow
Words by E.Y. Harburg
Music by Harold Arlen
Illustrated by Eric Puybaret
(The text of the book includes the rarely heard song introduction.)
All God’s Critters
Words and music by Bill Staines
Illustrated by Kadir Nelson
Here’s the complete song list:
- Accentuate the Positive (Trio): Words by Johnny Mercer, Music by Harold Arlen
- Travelin’ Through (Justin): Words and Music by Dolly Parton
- If I Had a Boat (Emily): Words and Music by Lyle Lovett
- A Cock-eyed Optimist (Cindy): Words by oscar Hammerstein, Music by Richard Rogers
- Finding Home (Justin): Words by Tina Landau, Music by Ricky Ian Gordon
- Peel Me a Grape (Cindy): Words and Music by Dave Frishberg
- All God’s Critters (Emily): Words and Music by Bill Staines
- There Will Be a Miracle (Emily): Words and Music by Michael John LaChiusa
- Pure Imagination (Justin): Words and Music by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newly
- Never Never Land (Cindy): Words by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, Music by Julie Styne
- I Can See It (Trio): Words by Tom Jones, Music by Harvey Schmidt
- Remember Me (Justin): Words and Music by Mark Schultz
- Defying Gravity (Emily): Words and Music by Stephen Schwartz
- Sweetest of Nights and the Brightest of Days (Cindy): Words by Judith Viorst, Music by Shelly Markham
- Move On (Trio): Words and Music by Stephen Sondheim
The night was Music Directed and accompanied by Howard Breitbart. Howard is absolutely one of the best music directors anywhere. Singing with him is an indescribable pleasure. He allows the singer to fly.
It was a very special treat to sing Howard’s gorgeous arrangements of the three trio numbers, “Accentuate the Positive,” “I Can See It” and “Move On.”
More information about St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church and “Maggie’s Cabaret,” here: http://www.stmargaretsdc.org/